Saturday, December 3, 2011

For the love of God, wash your hands!

I love this picture for the following reasons:
1. The man in picture is wearing a Boston Red Sox hat, and I <3 the Boston Red Sox.  If you don't, it's because you haven't been to Fenway yet and felt the magic.

2.  My Clinical Pharmacology professor once told the class that some horrifyingly high percentage of people (70-80%) don't wash their hands at all after using the restroom. If this statistic is indeed correct, I must say that this is so incredibly disturbing to me. Seriously people, wash your hands! A little soap and water goes a long way in disease prevention. I'd like to think this photograph is accurate in its portrayal that us science folk are more likely to wash our hands after (and before).

Related side note: I once dated a boy who didn't wash his hands after using the restroom. Needless to say, I broke up with him shortly thereafter.

Picture stolen from: http://survivingtheworld.net/Lesson1247.html

(Yes, I am posting an awful lot lately...but there's nothing like finals and writing an orphan drug application to get you to procrastinate!)

2 comments:

  1. That IS quite gross. I am an avid handwasher...and another thing I do, at least at home, is shutting the lid down before flushing (I remember many moons ago my sister telling me about the "spray zone" of fecal matter, and I was scarred for life, haha).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, yes. I wanted to write about the toilet seat lid in this post, but I figured I had ranted enough. I'm not picky about many things, but the one thing that's a must for me is putting the toilet lid down prior to flushing to minimize that fecal matter spray zone (ewww!). I always knew we saw eye-to-eye Betty :-)

    ReplyDelete